THE PORTER FAMILY

THE PORTER FAMILY

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

One Year Check-Up


Kate had her one year check up this morning. She weighs 21.8 lbs (55%), 29 1/4 inches (50 %), head 44 1/2 cm (40%) so she is pretty much where she is supposed to be! She had three immunizations, and a toe prick to check her iron levels.
At Kate's 9 month check up her iron levels were pretty low so the Doctor wanted to re-check at this visit. Unfortunately her levels hadn't correct any and were still low. He ordered blood work to be done to eliminate any think else that could be going on in her body (better safe than sorry). As calm as I tried to be I was dying inside after our discussion. We have a great Doctor and I always appreciate his honesty when I ask questions. Lab Corp is also in the same building so I sucked up everything I was feeling and took her to get her blood drawn. If I ever thought seeing my kids get their shots was bad I had another think coming. I guess because she had already been poked so much this morning I didn't want to have to do more, but I also didn't want to come back to do it either! They had Kate sit in my lap with my her legs between mine, and both my arms wrapped around her torso and her other arm so she couldn't move. One nurse held her free arm straight while another one drew the blood. I am sure that was half of what the crying was about. As luck would have it the first blood draw didn't work! The blood started to flow and then stopped. So on to the second arm. This one worked great, however Kate was passed upset and so was Ethan! He was fine at first but then he lost it too! I am sure I looked like a real treat trying to get both crying babies, stroller, huge diaper bag out the door!
They both got a sucker which saved me on the drive home! So a few days and we should know what is happening in her little body, always hope and pray for the best!

On a happy note...the high light I think for Kate today was being able to sit in her car seat facing forward! She and Ethan laughed at each other and she absolutely loved being able to see the TV and enjoy what the rest of the kids have been!

No comments: